Russell County May unemployment | Jobs
By Joshua Ninke | email
RUSSELL COUNTY, AL – Russell County’s unemployment rate sits at 10.7% for the month of May. This is higher than both the national and state average. The workforce has decreased a little from the month of April. Russell County unemployment has risen from last year, where it sat at 9.9% for May 2010.
The state announced Friday that Alabama’s May 2011 unemployment rose to 9.6% from April’s 9.3%. The overall rate is a little higher from where Alabama was a year ago at 9.5%. One of the biggest contributors to this increase is the April tornadoes. The national unemployment rate is another factor, steadily increasing to the rate of 9.1% for May. The last factor is an increase in the work force. College and high school graduations and schools getting out for the summer add a number of people looking for work.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Final “Let’s Talk!...with the Mayor” forum is Dec. 12
- Columbus Cottonmouths deliver gifts to Midtown Medical Center
- Columbus Council moves forward with Riverwalk redevelopment, zip line on the way
- Friends, family remember Kenneth Walker 10 years after his death
- PAWS Humane offers specials, discounts for holiday season