GA Tech football player, Girard School alum speaks to students | News
PHENIX CITY, AL (WTVM)- Students at South Girard
School in Phenix City were all ears Friday as Orwin Smith, running back for Georgia
Tech, spoke to student athletes.
Smith is a Girard alum and
he spent the day telling students about what it takes to balance college
courses and football.
Smith told the aspiring
athletes that even though sports may be what they want to do in life, you can't
do it without making good grades.
The running back explains
why he thinks it is so important to speak to these students about keeping their
"As soon as they get
to high school as a freshman, just stay on them grades because it impacts you
so hard when it's time for you to actually pick a school," Smith said. "And I
know a lot of athletes here are trying to get in to a school and I've seen
athletes not make it because of their freshman year grades so I just want to
make sure that they know how important it is."
Smith told News Leader 9
it was great to be back in his old school.
He hopes speaking with
students will help them realize just how important good grades are.
Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Update: Charges against Muscogee Co. Deputy Marshal have been dismissed
- Gus Malzahn speaks at luncheon honoring high school football players, coaches
- 3rd annual Driver’s Education Scholarships presented to high school students
- Final “Let’s Talk!...with the Mayor” forum is tonight
- Domestic violence increases during holiday season