Phenix City man behind bars after chase, dodges bullet | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- A Phenix City man is still behind bars following a bizarre incident where he managed to dodge a bullet by jumping through a glass window.
It happened around 6:40 Monday night, Darren Pickett, 21, told police he was leaving out of a store in the Benning Hills area when suddenly three men started chasing him and then began shooting at him.
Pickett says he managed to crash through a glass window at an abandoned house to escape the gunfire.
He suffered several cuts to his arm and forehead. He was treated at the Medical Center--shortly afterwards police arrested Pickett for violating probation.
We found a simple battery conviction on Pickett. In August, he was sentenced to 12 months probation on the family violence charge and told not go near the victim.
Police said Picket did not a description of the men nor could he tell them the exact location where the incident happened.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Domestic violence increases during holiday season
- Have a blast this Saturday at the Coca-Cola Space Science Center!
- Columbus Cottonmouths deliver gifts to Midtown Medical Center
- Columbus Council moves forward with Riverwalk redevelopment, zip line on the way
- Friends, family remember Kenneth Walker 10 years after his death
- Military Matters: Making sweet music with Fort Benning’s marching band
- Trees for Troops to give away 800 Christmas trees on Ft. Benning
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan