Rev. J. H. Flakes missed by two communities, laid to rest Friday | News
PHENIX CITY, AL (WTVM)- The body of one of the most well-known pastors in our area was lying in repose Thursday at the Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Phenix City.
The Reverend J.H. Flakes Jr. began working at that church nearly 50 years ago and has since moved to lead congregations in the Columbus area at the Fourth Street Missionary Baptist Church.
Hundreds came out to see his body and remember the beloved community leader, including some longtime church members who knew him personally.
"He loved us and catered to all of us. Most of the deacons here now are deacons he raised and baptized and ordained as deacons," said Virginia Williams.
Pastor Flakes remained in state at Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church until 8 a.m. Friday and following a brief memorial service.
His body was move to the Fourth Street Missionary Baptist Church where his funeral was held.
We'll have a full report of the day's events on News Leader 9 at Five.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Judge hands down mixed decision in discrimination lawsuit against Muscogee Co Sheriff, city
- Pet of the Week adopted into Heritage Hills family
- Buy your tickets now for the Officer Relief Fund for Captain Jack Long
- CSU participates in world’s largest swimming lesson
- City Council approves fees for Aquatic Center