Rev. J. H. Flakes missed by two communities, laid to rest Friday | News
PHENIX CITY, AL (WTVM)- The body of one of the most well-known pastors in our area was lying in repose Thursday at the Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Phenix City.
The Reverend J.H. Flakes Jr. began working at that church nearly 50 years ago and has since moved to lead congregations in the Columbus area at the Fourth Street Missionary Baptist Church.
Hundreds came out to see his body and remember the beloved community leader, including some longtime church members who knew him personally.
"He loved us and catered to all of us. Most of the deacons here now are deacons he raised and baptized and ordained as deacons," said Virginia Williams.
Pastor Flakes remained in state at Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church until 8 a.m. Friday and following a brief memorial service.
His body was move to the Fourth Street Missionary Baptist Church where his funeral was held.
We'll have a full report of the day's events on News Leader 9 at Five.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Domestic violence increases during holiday season
- Have a blast this Saturday at the Coca-Cola Space Science Center!
- Columbus Cottonmouths deliver gifts to Midtown Medical Center
- Columbus Council moves forward with Riverwalk redevelopment, zip line on the way
- Friends, family remember Kenneth Walker 10 years after his death
- Military Matters: Making sweet music with Fort Benning’s marching band
- Trees for Troops to give away 800 Christmas trees on Ft. Benning
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan